Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Spy vs Spy...

...recently posted an entry about what happens to a book when it is seen by an agent and by an editor. The blog's tag line is

Agent 007 on Publishing: A book editor becomes an agent and tells it like it is.
The agent's point of view
SPY… Good day, Sunshine. La la la… Agent 007, here, and it’s a great day. I’ve just signed a new author, and here’s how it happened: 1. Received a very interesting, well-written (though perhaps a little too long) email query on a great topic that I can relate to. Googled author and his credentials are every bit as good as he presented them, if not better. He hasn’t already self-published his book and tried to hide it. Plus, he’s gorgeous.
The editor's point of view
…VS. SPY Haven’t had a dream in a long time. See, the life I’ve had can make a good man bad. So for once in my life, let me get what I want… Lord knows, it would be the first time… Editor 007, here. It’s yet another day. I’ve just signed a new author. Here’s how it happened: 1. I had editorial meeting this morning, a two-hour lunch because I had to travel to midtown, and an afternoon marketing strategy meeting for one of my books on an upcoming list. Now it’s 5:30 and I haven’t returned the stack of phone calls or the inbox full of emails, let alone read the cover letters for the five submissions that came in today. I’m beat. I’ll grab the shortest one from the agent I like best and take it home tonight.
What I loved about the bits that I didn't post was the honesty in the evaluation. The entry really shows the importance of the timing - right agent, right time of day, right level of enthusiasm. No wonder wannabes are told to expect rejection and try again. And again. And again. The entry doesn't discourage me in the slightest. Since I understand the complications behind acceptance of my "perfect" novel, I'm more willing to send it out. Again. And again. via Words of a Writer

No comments: