Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Conflicted

I love the Oshkosh Public Library's online reserve system. I look-up the book I want, tell them I want to pick it up in Oshkosh and wait for the email saying that it is ready for me to pick-up. To make it even better, they went to placing these books in a patron area so I can now use the self-checkout machines too. No more waiting in line, especially as few use the self-checkout. I was relaying my enthusiasm to a friend who works for the library. In turn she let me know that the new system that I love meant that one person lost their job. In a word, I was crushed. The library relies on public funds. With budget cuts being toted by tax payers, local and state representatives, along with those boys high up in Madison, something had to give. I don't know who the person was. And I'm sorry that my elation cost you your job.

No comments: