Friday, September 16, 2005

Let the Insanity Begin

The sign-up for National Write a Novel Month opens soon - October 1st, to be exact. Last year I took on the challenge to write a 50,000 word novel in one month. I did it. I'm going to do it again this year. I spent time in October of last year outlining the book I was going to write. It was somewhat autobiographical. My one-sentence description was: A young widow returns to her midwestern hometown to pick-up the fragments of her life. The widow was me. The people I ran into throughout the book were people I knew as a child. At times it was really fun making extremely bad things happen to them. Others I was equally pleased to give them good lives and to be nice to them. I've never felt so devilish as I did writing that book. Since the goal is quantity, not quality, I'm sure it is perfectly dreadful and have only minute plans to edit it. Or even re-read it. I never read more than the last paragraph before starting a new session.. This year, though, I signed on to be the Municipal Liason for the Fox Valley Region (Appleton to Fond du Lac and all point inbetween.) I'd like to do some really fun things, but need to wait for the forum boards to renew for the new year so I can see who is in the area and get some of their imput. I want to have weekly writing goals, prizes for those who have met them, and such. If you are interested, if you aren't in the Fox Valley, go to NaNoWriMo.org and sign-up. Celebrate when you start and when you are done. If you think 50,000 words in 30 days is crazy, try these folks. They give you a mere 3 days to get it done.

No comments: