Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Reading Goals

I haven't ever set a reading goal, other than "Read as much as possible." Typically, this means between 125 - 175 books a year. This year, I am going to set a goal, in the opposite direction.

Read one book a week, plus one non-fiction book a month.

My total for 2008 shouldn't top 64 books total. The total number of pages might be interesting; I'm going to be picking some fat books.

With the extra time I'll now have, I'm starting two projects. One is my Etsy Craft shop Willow Bends. Right now I just have bracelets for sale, and I plan to expand for my other craft items. I'd love it if you'd check out my shop, as well as other art on Etsy. It's a great place to find unique, hand-crafted items.

My other project is writing. I need to get back to it after taking December off. I have the bare bones of my story, meaning that I have a dozen or so critical scenes and need to fill in the gaps. I'm not sure of my January goal, other than to work on it, five days out of seven. the first five scenes are good, and I have some writing to do. I'll probably keep track of my progress on a day by day sort of basis. I'm also responsible for one post a week at Starting Write Now. Gotta get back on track with that too.

What is your reading goal for the year? Do you have any "fat" books to recommend?

UPDATE: I'm starting a post to collect the titles and the subsequent reviews here.

2 comments:

Bethany K. Warner said...

I can think of some "fat" books, but not necessarily ones that you would be interested in -- they are all sci-fi/fantasy deals. If you are though, let me know.

And glad to hear you're getting back to the writing. I want to read pages!

Daisy said...

I've found that I'm reading more nonfiction than fiction...and that's not always good. When I read to relax, I want fiction. I've resolved to keep both on hand in the house so I can read to stimulate or read to relax.