Even after closing some books, the characters stay with you. Here are my Top Five Lingering Characters:
- Clare, from The Time Traveler's Wife. Her resolve, patience and confidence is inspiring. She always trusts Henry to come back, to be what she needs him to be. I cannot imagine the difficulties of marriage on top of the fact that your husband pops in & out of your life, at different ages each time.
- Laura, from the Little House on the Prairie books. I haven't read these since I was in grade school, but the massive amounts of snow we had remind me of the sleigh ride that Laura and Alzonzo took as part of their courtship.
- Ben, from Magic Kingdom for Sale -- Sold! series. Even though he is sure something is up (it is a magic kingdom and he is a lawyer,) he buys it. It comes with its very own bad guy. Ben never gives up. He truly wants to do what is in the best interest of the country. Admirable, really, how he stands up in the face of danger that he could just walk away from.
- Lizzie, from Pride and Prejudice. I love her confidence and self-assurance. I'm positive that's what wins Darcy over in the end too, even though she's not his equal, socially.
- Beatrice, from Much Ado About Nothing. Another feisty woman who stands up for herslef and those who have been wronged.
What characters stick with you? Why?