Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Pardon Me whilst I Rant for a Bit

My daycare provider (who is absolutely fabulous, by the way, if you are looking for one in my area) keeps me abreast of various happenings that she hears through her extensive grapevine.

Oshkosh PD is cracking down on child safety in vehicles. Organized and random stops can result in fines around $200 if a child isn't properly secured. While I applaud their willingness to seek out such evil irresponsible parents, what about the people who are driving along at 10, 15 or even 20 miles over a speed limit? I'm guilty of it. I've lost count of the number of times I've met a cop car while driving to fast and watched in my mirrors for the tell-tale lights.

I have yet to see them.

What about the parents who have kids like mine that throw up at least once a month and the car seat has yak all over it? If that's not extenuating circumstances, then what is?

But what really pisses me off is while they are catching these criminals irresponsible parents, cigarettes are being sold to the parents of small children. Might as well sell an inhaler for the asthma they'll get right along with it.

The wait staff of most local restaurants are subject to second hand smoke and the various short and long term effects of it.

At Target, I have to give my driver's license and sign a pledged of non-misuse to purchase cold medicine (but not cough syrup).

Driving through the stoplights at 9th and Koeller is the equivalent of playing Russian roulette, but with cars. Will they stop for the red light so I can go through my green turn arrow?

What's the next target going to be? A real offender like cigarettes? Or fast food restaurants and their artery clogging products? Or the scores of people who believe traffic lights are a suggestion?

Nope, I figure it will be something really useful like making sure all trees in the city are trimmed to a proper level.

Child safety is important and I wouldn't want my kids to be the ones to suffer. But doesn't our police department have a better use for their time?

No comments: