Friday, January 13, 2006

Creative Marketing

A Legend of Ethshar on the Installment Plan

I'm Lawrence Watt-Evans, author of some three dozen novels and hundreds of short stories, articles, etc. One of my best-known series has been the Legends of Ethshar, consisting (as of 2004) of eight novels originally published by Del Rey Books or Tor Books and seven short stories that appeared in various anthologies.

Alas, no major mainstream publisher is interested in continuing the Ethshar series at present. On the other hand, I had several readers saying they desperately want to see more. I decided to see whether enough of them were willing to put their money where their mouths are to finance more Ethshar stories -- and perhaps eventually continuations of other series that no longer have major publishers.

I wonder how much well known author's would be able to earn (and keep more of) and other mid-list authors. Fantastic idea and one to keep in mind.

No comments: