Thursday, February 14, 2008

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Title: Love in the Time of Cholera

Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Publisher: Vintage International

ISBN 978-0-307-38973-2, $19.95, 1988, 348 pages

Genre: Literary

Summary: Six hundred and twenty-two affairs ago, Florentino Ariza and Fermina Daza had a passionate love affair through letters and telegrams. Instead, Fermina married Dr. Juvenal Urbino. The death of Jeremiah de Saint-Amour, the famed photographer of children, brings Florentino and Fermina together again.

The Take-Away: I never would have read this book if it hadn't been for my book club. As I read, I continued to get lost in the poetry of the prose. I have the same problem when I read poetry. I forget that there's a story being told also. By the end, I understood what attracted people to it, but I've read better literary novels that didn't leave me so confused.

I didn't understand why Fermina married Florentino. What convinced the feisty girl to give up her love? And what's the significance of the first scene? I'm sure it was explained in there somewhere, but I lost track of the thread that carried the story.

Personally, I don't like to have to work this hard for a story.

Recommendation: Skip it, unless you like long, winding stories with obvious endings.

Technorati tag:

2 comments:

Bethany K. Warner said...

Glad you made it through finally. I sort of want to watch the movie version, just to find out how they make it cinematically interesting.

Stacie Penney said...

I can understand that. Since the strike ruined the rest of the season for tv, I'll be looking for more movies than normal, probably.