Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Flirting with Pride & prejudice edited by Jennifer Crusie

Title: Flirting with Pride & prejudice : Fresh Perspectives on the Original Chick-Lit Masterpiece

Editor: Jennifer Crusie

Genre: Non-fiction, with a few short stories thrown in

Summary: A collection of essays from the best of today's romance writers -- Chick Lit, Fantasy, and any other sub-genre you can think up -- bring their experiences with Jane Austen's most famous novel.

The Take-Away: This is a must read for anyone writing romance today, even if it is just a sub-genre of romance. Reading it opened my eyes to errors in my writing. And made me appreciate how no matter what your view of Chick Literature is, it can be taken to a new level with the right idea.

My favorite was really difficult to decide, but I keep thinking about two pieces. The first was by Lani Diane Rich and the appeal of Colin Firth in the BBC production. I completely agree with her obsession. The second was the combination of the setting of P&P after Elizabeth and Darcy have married with wizardry.

I need to get the book back so I can find out who that author was and read some of her novels.

Recommendation: At the very least, read a couple of the essays and one short story.

July Titles

The Master List

Technorati tag:

No comments: