Monday, January 15, 2007

Tripping to Somewhere by Kristopher Reisz

Title: Tripping to Somewhere

Author: Kristopher Reisz

Genre: Fantasy

Summary: A pair of runaway teenagers want to find The Witches' Carnival, the ultimate good time. In their journey, they succeed, and fail.

The Take-Away: Nicely paced. It's fast, but didn't leave me wondering what just happened. It's a great example of tight writing as well. Both elements make it a must read for any author that wants to examine the execution of these elements.

It's a YA novel, but don't let that deter you. As a parent, the sub-culture of teenagers astounds me. My boys are too young to face the trials that these girls do: sexual orientation, drugs, theft, etc. My rather sheltered high school career didn't expose me to much of this either. I wouldn't hesitate to let my boys (or girls, if I had them) read this, but I'd want to talk about some of the situations after they finished. Just to find out what they thought.

Recommendation: Worth the time.

December Titles

Technorati tag:

No comments: