Friday, October 06, 2006

The Time-Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Title: The Time-Traveler's Wife

Author: Audrey Niffenegger

Genre: Literary

Summary: The intwined lifes of Henry and Claire transcend the way we assume time works.

The Take-Away: I love this story as much the second time around as I did the first time. The title confused me, during the first reading, as it seems that it should be Henry, as the time travel, that is important. By the end of the first reading, I realized that Claire truly was the important character, but wasn't able to say why.

Hence the re-reading.

I waited. I was a bit fearful that it wouldn't read as well the second time and I loved this book. I didn't want anything to ruin it. But I found myself without titles from the library and a Saturday afternoon free, so I grabbed it from my shelf.

The book challenges freewill. When Henry first visits Claire, he knows her to be the child version of his wife. Claire grows up, her life marked by her waiting for Henry to return until as an adult they are married. Are either of their choices their own?

Niffenegger challenges this as well by forcing Henry to visit, over and over, certain times and scenes in his life. He can't ever change them.

And while he travels, Claire waits. She is his constant. She knows bits of his future, based on the visits he currently makes and she already has had.

The whole novel has a very circular effect that is quite fascinating and, if I think about it for too long, it might my head explode. The wonder of the story isn't just in the reading of it, but also in the thinking about the possibilities.

Recommendation: Buy it and keep in on your shelf. Another great title for gift giving.

September Titles

Technorati tag:

No comments: