Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Recipes from Friends

Some of my favorite recipes are from people I know. This weekend I made Minestrone Soup from Average Jane. It was fantastic. Even though she warned that it made alot, I doubled the batch. My husband had seen the print out of the recipe and said, "Hey, are you making this?" Husband code for "This sounds good. You should make it." I forgot the tomato paste, and used part of a bag of pre-cut cabbage that was intended for coleslaw. As a result, I had carrots in my soup, but didn't have to spend all the time chopping a head of cabbage. It worked for me. I was going to make Beer Bread to go with it, but no one wanted it but me. It is one of those recipes that are so easy to make, that I make it all the time. Beer Bread

3 cups self rising flour 3 tablespoons sugar 12 oz beer, room temp Mix all three ingredients together. Pour into greased bread pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes. After removing from oven, melted butter can be poured over the top.
I never have self-rising flour, but have a recipe for making self-rising flour. I'll have to post it at another time. I'm a bit short on time today. Update: For self-rising flour, combine 4 cups all purpose flour, 2 tablespoons baking soda, 2 teaspoons salt. Store until needed.

No comments: