Friday, October 28, 2005

Book Review V

Title: The Amber Spyglass

Author: Philip Pullman

Genre: Fantasy

Summary: The conclusion of Lyra's and Will's journey. They enter Death and learn the secrets of Dust, the Amber Knife and fulfill the witch's prophecy about Lyra.

What was Good: Every question I had was answered and most of my conclusion was cleared away.

What wasn't: The bulk of the controversy in this trilogy surrounds Dust and what the Church is going to do about it. Until the reader understands the motivation of the Church and aligns it to their own beliefs, the same level of confusion for Lyra and Will are confusing to the reader. I'm certain that this was the purpose of Mr. Pullman. I enjoy thinking that I am smart and this seriously ruined some of that notion for me.

The Take-Away: The intended audience for this novel sits in that fuzzy area between young adult and adult readers. Even Barnes & Noble recognizes this, stocking the first two books in the YA section and the third in the adult Fantasy section.

Recommendation: Read all three novels relatively close together and reduce the confusion that Mr. Pullman sets up so nicely.

No comments: