Monday, September 18, 2006

Banned Books

I'm a fan. What better way to get kids to read something than by telling them that they can't? It worked for me, when I was told I couldn't read the Little House on the Prairie books until I was 8. Or was it 9? I don't remember, but I do know that by the time I was allowed to, I had read them once already.

This might be the attraction Ollie has for my Harry Potter books. Hmm...

Anyway, I was thrilled when Elaine Viets posted about banned books at The Lipstick Chronicles.

When I was growing up, I carried the Bible in my book bag. I kept it by my bed at night. My mother was delighted to find her quiet A-student in religious study.

Good thing Mom didn’t look any closer. I wasn’t reading the Bible. I was deep into a banned book, which I’d hidden behind a Bible cover.

I'm officially changing my goal list. Someday I want to be a book tart too, because they are so damn funny that it will by default mean that I am as well.

But she has some excellent reasons for loving banned books that are quite thought provoking and well-worth reading, which of course you will immediately do.

No comments: