Monday, April 25, 2005

Eating my Words

Remember how I said one day I'd own a duck, because my kids and my husband would gang up on me? Nature chipped in too. A pair of mallards can often be found in either our yard or one of the neighbor's. They're a cute couple as they trot down the sidewalk or perch on the front step. Evidently their visits were scouting trips for a new home as they decided to build their nest in the tree in our front yard. Yes, I said, a tree. The nook of choice was the lowest of all available to them, but it still puts them 8 or 9 feet off the ground. The female seldom leaves since she has eggs up there as well. I know that they've been there for a while, but I have no clue as to how long. Two of the eggs have dropped to the ground and cracked. My husband, ever the concerned naturalist, finished cracking them open and figures it is a week or two before she has ducklings. Now that we know that they are there, duck feed has been purchased. My husband is trying to figure out how to get a water dish up there for her too. He did go so far as to take out the Red Ryder BB gun and practice his aim, just to warn off preditors. Our neighbor lost $50 in a bet to his girlfriend. He was convinced that we were feeding him a line, while she believed us. I just want to know how the female knew that of all the yards she surveyed, ours would offer the most protection in the form of my husband.

No comments: