Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Deciding on Being a Grown-up

One of the biggest decision ever made in life comes at the tender age of 17 or 18 during college and major selection. The decision can be put off or changed, but if delayed the pressure only continues. Mike Davidson of Mike Industries.com has great advice for those who want to be web designers. Man, I wished I had this sort of thing about seven or eight years ago when I was trying to figure out what to do with my life. This is some great advice. Instead I decided to go a different route in a company that has no career development for my particular role. So as I forge my own way, I searched for and found this interesting handout from the Council of Logistics Management. It has helped me think about where I want to be in five, ten or fifteen years. Things have changed a bit since I was a kid and the choices were doctor, teacher or nurse. I cannot wait until my own children start to wrestle with this decision. Knowing what I do now about careers and option that truly are available is a much better start than what I had. Perhaps it is the difference between where I live and where I grew-up. Either way, I envy the youth today.

No comments: