Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Biking in Oshkosh

I rode to work for the first time yesterday. It took me about 20 minutes to go 3 1/2 miles. Granted, I'm not breaking any speed records, but it really isn't as long of a ride as I thought it would be. I enjoy riding for a couple of reasons. It's good exercise. I'm moving my own body weight, the weight of the carrier and the weight of the passengers in the carrier. Thank God that it is only one passenger at this point. By going slower, I see more things and get a different view of Oshkosh. You know how sidewalks usually dipped down and meet the surface of the road? Well, they don't always. I'm okay with it as my bike has shocks. But poor baby in the carrier. He is bounced around like tumbleweed when they don't. For the routes I've taken, I know if the road or the sidewalk is better to ride on. I meet people biking on busy streets like 20th and I think, I'm not that brave, especially with the carrier. People see me, but not the flag behind me that means a carrier. Spring means green, but this year I'm discovering that green comes in many more shades and tones than I ever realized. One of the trails I like goes through some thick foliage along the river. I cannot wait to see what that will look like when everything fills in. As a child I was always more interested in reading, mainly an inside activity. As a high school and college student, I kept my interest in reading, but also was busy with homework and for money work. As an adult, I still love to read and am glad to see my boys doing it. But I'm learning to balance my reading with other activities. Like bicycling.

No comments: