Tuesday, June 29, 2004

The Christmas Season

I am the biggest grinch when it comes to Christmas. Just call me Scrooge, because I see little or no point in giving gifts to adults. Take my husband, for example. He is one of the worst people to shop for. And my brother has the same problem. They mention that they would like something. Word gets around and eventually some one buys it for them. Two weeks before Christmas, they’ve decided that the item cannot be lived without for one moment longer. Immediately they rush to the nearest shopping compound and buy it for themselves. Meantime’s, I look like an ass as I’m the one who suggested that it would be a great gift. I usually start to cultivate a list during the summer – who do I need to buy for, ideas of what I could get them. And then I watch for sales. But this year, I’d really like to forgo it all together. My kids are little; how many more toys do they really need? If Hubby-dear wants something, he just buys it anyway. And I can’t think of much that I would like except more time. I know I didn’t always have this feeling of meanness that looms larger as the 25th grows closer. I’m still going to start the list and make a “wish list” for my own family. I just hope that it helps to alleviate the problem and not perpetuate it.

No comments: