Word of the Day calendars, emails, websites, etc. seem like a good idea to increase vocabulary, but are they? The following list was developed from the one I receive daily, subscribe to through Bloglines or found in my calendar.
- oleaginous: 1. resembling or having the properties of oil : oily; also : containing or producing oil; 2. marked by an offensively ingratiating manner or quality.
- cudgel: 1. A short heavy stick used as a weapon; a club; 2. To beat with or as if with a cudgel.
- eonism: 1.Adoption of female clothing and manners by a male.
- miscible: 1.Capable of being mixed; specifically : capable of mixing in any ratio without separation of two phases
- cadge: 1.beg, sponge
- pettifogger: 1. A petty, unscrupulous lawyer; a shyster. 2. A person who quibbles over trivia. .
- nonce: 1. Occurring, used, or made only once or for a special occasion.
- hesternal: 1. Of yesterday.
- looby: 1. An awkward, clumsy, lazy fellow.
- athenaeum: 1. A library or reading room. 2. A literary or scientific club.
- insouciant: 1. Happily unconcerned; carefree; nonchalant.
- invious: 1. Pathless; untrodden; inaccessible.
- rhinorrhea: 1.A runny nose.
My previous Thirteens