Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Captain Alatriste & Purity of Blood by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Title: Captain Alatriste and Purity of Blood

Author: Arturo Perez-Reverte

Genre: Historical

Summary: The exploits of an esteemed soldier of the Spanish Armies are told through the eyes of his now grown ward.

The Take-Away: The narrator is now an old man, relating tales he saw or overheard when he was 13 or 14, about his guardian, Captian Alatriste. In the second novel, the narrator (whose name I can't remember and the library wanted their copy back) plays an vital role in the plot. He takes a wandering path to tell his story using flashback and foreshadowing.

I confess, this was difficult for me to read, especially the first book. It was out of my normal reading, while varied, doesn't often cross cultural boundaries. It is also a translation from Spanish. Most likely it was my brain not processing well.

I am going to wait for book three, but not with as much anticipation as Word Nerd most likely is.

Recommendation: Try it out, but do keep in mind that I liked the second installation better than the first.

Bonus Review: Word Nerd's review of Captain Alatriste and Purity of Blood.

No comments: