Thursday, June 14, 2007

Ptolemy's Gate by Jonathan Stroud

Title: Ptolemy's Gate

Author: Jonathan Stroud

Genre: Fantasy, third in a series

Summary: The war in American is going poorly, as is Nathaniel's ability to keep his promises to Bartimaeus. In fact, almost everything is going poorly in Nathaniel's life as he not only loosing his golden boy sheen, but is the scape goat of numerous failures.

The Take-Away: Totally stunned. After I finished the second book, I really hoped that Nathaniel wouldn't continue down the path of greed and political games. He did, but redeems himself by the end of the book. I don't want to say too much and give away the ending, but I was proud of the boy.

I haven't said much about the magic or world that Stroud weaves his story in. Being a newcomer to the field of fantasy, I don't always know what is truly new and what is new to me. The action takes place in England, with a nice balance of English mannerisms and culture. Magicians are capable of magic only through the strength of the demons that they call. To be a powerful magician, one must command a powerful demon. Herbs and other trappings often used in fantasy novels are useful, but do not have any magical properties of their own. Think of them like vitamins; helpful, but not the real thing.

Stroud's writing is crisp and clear. I was lost in the books and didn't notice much about his techniques. Always a good thing for the reader and speaks volumes for the author's ability.

Stroud did leave the possibility of more books about Bartimaeus. He isn't vanquished and Kitty knows how to call him from The Other World. I hope that another trilogy is in the works.

Recommendation: Savor the finale of this series.

Technorati tag:

No comments: