Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Accidental Profession

I found the secret to publishing a book and having a successful career. The New York Times printed it.

The answer is that no one really knows. “It’s an accidental profession, most of the time,” said William Strachan, editor in chief at Carroll & Graf Publishers. “If you had the key, you’d be very wealthy. Nobody has the key.”

Reassuring, right? I recently attended a workshop presented by Donald Maass, of the Donald Maass agency, entitled "Writing the Breakout Novel." I loved the workshop, learned tons, including that he would most likely disagree with Strachan's statement. But I have another post on that later.

I take heart that some authors, some books, explode when no one predicted it. Mine just might be one of them.

via Murder She Writes

1 comment: