Monday, June 19, 2006

Favorite Author, Terrible Book

It happens to all of us. A favorite author writes a book that has to be a mistake. Or ghost written. Or has a serious deadline. Whatever the reason, faithful reader plug through, hoping it will get better. Praying that the next novel is.

Michelle Rowen, author of Bitten & Smitten, has just such a problem. And I love the way she handles it.

I am reading a book right now by a long-time fave author of mine. It has received rave reviews *everywhere*. From *everyone*. And I am having a bitch of a time getting through it. The author continues to be a fave.... and I love this series and the characters so, so much... but, sigh. The main character keeps doing things that are not like her. Not at all. And it's ripping me out of the story. For example, the world is essentially coming to an end. The character is sought after by various forces to be killed or worse. And she mentions that she has to work the next day. ??? Though, of course, her being at her job will probably move the plot forward. But, sigh.

Notice the lack of links? Michelle didn't have them either. I have no idea what author this is. I probably could find out with a little research, but I don't want to know.

What I want to know is why she didn't like the book. Evident, isn't it? She goes on to say that the problem might be herself, and not the author or the book, because her week has been stressful.

But I love how she expressed her thought while respecting the author.

No comments: