Friday, February 03, 2006

The Son of the Witch by Gregory Maguire

Title: Lost: The Son of the Witch

Author: Gregory Maguire

Genre: Fantasy

Summary: Liir struggles with his parentage, making sense of an Oz with no Witch or Wizard, and finding his role in the new world their void has left behind.

The Take-Away: The writing is excellent, just excellent. I love the way the sentences have been constructed and the careful word choice. But (heard that, did you?) I don't get it.

I thought back to its predecessor,Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West and realized that if it hadn't been for the clever tie-ins to the movie we all know and love, I would have felt the same. There's a great story in here; I'm not smart enough to figure it out on my own. It would be a great selection for a book club since the discussion would be endless.

Recommendation: Read it and email me about what the heck is going on.

No comments: