Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Movie Review: Annapolis

The husband and I saw Annapolis last night. After seeing it, I'd recommend waiting until it comes out on video. The beginning is fantastic, but the ending is weak.

The story follows Jake's quest to fulfill his childhood dream of going to the naval academy. From early scenes we know that Jake is a boxer, his dad works at a ship yard supervising welders, Jake almost has his hours so he can join the union.

All were excellent examples of showing what Jake was like and hinted at the disatisfaction he felt as his life became just like his dad's. The best part was showing his persistence.

After a day of welding, Jake is told that a navy admiral is in the yard looking for him. Jake goes out and the conversation goes something like this.

Jake: I'm Jake Huard.

Admiral: I'm trying to figure out how someone with mediocre grades got a congressman to write a recommendation for the academy.

Jake: I had to see him a couple of times.

Admiral: How many times is a couple?

Jake: Every day for 34 days.

The admiral asks another question that Jake answers in a similar fashion. Unfortunately, my memory is failing already and I don't remember it. What I do remember is a buddy later on asking, "What are you going to do if that doesn't work?" Jake counters with "I know I'm going to do it." You believe him because he went to a congressman's office every day for 34 days until he got what he wanted.

I enjoyed watching the movie to see how the storyline was built and carried through. The ending, however, wasn't as strong as the beginning. There's one good line - "I didn't do it for you. I did it for the academy." Otherwise, one thread was left open completely and it didn't hold the punch that Jake's convinction held at the beginning.

No comments: