Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Thoughts on being Rude, Part II

Obviously it bothered me that the kid was rude. It wasn't just his rudeness, but the rudeness that seems to penetrate my life at every turn. The driver that is a big hurry; the vendor that needs a balance paid; the person who took my order for lunch. Probably every 3 out of 4 conversations I have with strangers have one of us being rude. I'm guilty of it too, I know. Especially if you can't hear me when I'm in my car. I don't remember this rudeness when I was a kid. In fact, I remember 2nd grade being the biggest pusher of manners (Thanks, Mrs. Larson, for that lesson.) It takes little or no extra time to say, "Please" or "Thank you." Why don't we do it? Why do we drive 10-15 miles over the speed limit and force our way into a spot that is meant for a comfortable gap between the cars? Why don't we take the time to thank those that assist us or greet people properly? I hate nothing more than when someone calls my house and starts talking. What ever happened to saying "Hello"? I may have caller ID, but I don't always look at it first. The Fox River Mall promotes Random Acts of Kindness. While a lovely program conceptually, the problem lies deeper than being randomly kind and handing out flowers or doing a good deed for someone. The fact that a program exists to draw attention to an action that should be an inborn habit, should give you a clue has to how much reform is needed. Be polite all the time. Use the manners that your mother (hopefully) taught you to use. Promote Consistent Acts of Manners instead.

No comments: