Wednesday, January 12, 2005

New Year, New Resolutions

I'm not much for New Year's resolutions. In general I like my life and work to improve it every day. One thing that is always on my list of "Need to Improve" is get more exercise. To this end, my husband and I joined the Oshkosh YMCA last September when they were having a sale on joiner fees. At first I went 2-3 times a week, but between NaNoWriMo and sickness in November and December being December, it quickly trickled down to once a week. To correct this, I decided that I needed to do something different. They offer various classes -- spinning, kick boxing, fit for life, etc. -- but most of them were on bad nights or during the day. I found one that would work -- Yoga. I've tried yoga before, in my home. I have a video I like, but seldom use. (Finding one hour where no one is around to laugh at me it hard to do.) It's offered twice a week, but I can only go once. Good enough, as long as I hit the treadmill or elliptical runner twice a week too. I went to the class a couple of nights ago. It was very similar to the video I had used before, so I didn't look like a total moron. The next day attested to the workout I got. My upper body was sore, but pleasantly so. I could tell I used my muscles, but didn't over do it. The best part was the supplies that they provided. One of the reasons I didn't use my own video was I'm not extremely limber and need a few props, which are quite spendy. The Y had all of the props and using them made the workout more comfortable. If I have a resolution this year, it will be to attend yoga class once a week and exercise outside of that two times a week. Oh, and finally finish that novel I'm working on. The first draft of it anyway.

No comments: