Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Getting my New Book

I put my new Harry Potter book on reserve Saturday. I opted to go with a local bookstore and ignore the multi-million dollar stores. I'm sure you can think of a few places. Since I'm relatively new to Oshkosh, I don't know all of the in's and out's of the town. I figured that Little Professor bookstore was my best bet to get my book as Basic is a religious book store. Boy was I wrong. I actually went to Little Professor a few weeks ago, maybe two weeks after they announced the publication date. To my surprise I was told that they weren't taking any reservations. I cleaned out my ears and gave her my best incredulous look. They couldn't even order it yet, so they wouldn't take any names. So what you're saying is that you won't sell me a book. Okay, I guess. I was quite disappointed. Not only am I a huge Potter fan, I've never been to a midnight release. (I was pregnant when number five was released. I figured it would be bad for me to do that as I would have most likely stayed up the rest of the night to read it too.) I sulked and pouted and told everyone who would want to know about the bad service I received. What really pissed me off wasn't that they weren't taking reservations, but that the lady made me feel like a real idiot for even asking. After pointing out to her that Barnes and Noble, Borders and Amazon would most likely take my money, I left, feeling quite a drift and disappointed that I was going to have to drive to Appleton for a midnight release and waiting for god only knows how long, I hesitated in ordering a copy. Low and behold, another option presented itself to me -- Paper Tiger. What a lovely book store that is willing to sell its books. They don't know the discount yet, but they were more than willing to take my name and promise that they would have a midnight release. The lady at the desk, Kim, didn't even laugh at my companion and I when we requested two copies. She might have been my mother, but it doesn't mean I'm going to share. Paper Tiger sells all paperbacks, along with a few magazines and tobacco for pipes. It makes for a quite aromatic mixture when snooping through the stacks. I'll definitely go there again when I'm in dire need of a book. And I'll be there at the wee hours of morning on the 16th too. See you there.

No comments: