Saturday, October 30, 2004

So I was checking my referrer records and...

...I discovered that "usch" believes I have the most boring blog in the world. So boring, in fact that it has to be seen to believe. The forum he choose to leave his remarks in afforded me the option of leaving a comment. So I did, asking what made for a "interesting blog, in [his] esteemed opinion." I'm still waiting for a response, other than that he has been busted. After all, his efforts haven't earned my respect either. But it did cause me to evaluate why I am blogging. A couple of reasons prompted me to start. One was the whole Google phenomenon. Somewhere I read that if you Google yourself and don't find yourself, do you exist? (I'm sure it was phrased better than that, but you're smart; you get what I mean.) The other was my desire to learn. I decided to tackle html. Now if you Google for my name, you'll find me, proving that I do exist. In fact, someone did that and did find me. (Gotta love referrer stats.) And I'm slowly learning more about customizing my page and how html works. I definitely know more than I did when I started. I don't make tons of changes, but I when I look through my template, I understand what most of it is saying. The final reason should be the first reason. I love to write. I don't post any of my creative writing here, but having the commitment to this site has shown me that I can write every day, I just need to put my mind to it. I'm close to finishing the first draft of my book. I was working on it this weekend and had a revelation. See, I'm at the point where all of the loose threads have to be pulled and tugged and sewn together. After the bright lights and multiple voices faded, I saw through the garbage and realized where the fatal flaw lies. Now I need a chunk of time to fix it, slid those threads through my magical needle and take off. It's so close to the end, I can taste it. After I give it a once over and let it stew through the month of November, I'll pull it out it December, edit again and send it out for critiques. I have an opening or two if anyone is interested. And I have copies reserved for a few of you already. Or I will once they are printed and finished. Finished is good. The other good thing to come of this blog is two of my good friends from college have started their own blogs. A Far Greener Country and One Day Further Than Yesterday give me the chance to see what is going on in there life. Like so many other friendships we all have experienced, the three of us have drifted apart, as good friends often do after college ends. But the world of blogging and the ease of Blogger has pulled us together again. None of us are as good about staying in touch as we'd like to be. But we can and we are. It's through the pages of the 'net rather than a 30 minute car ride and a $3 cup of coffee.

1 comment:

Prahagirl said...

Well said Stace. I must say that my reasons for blogging have changed many times over, but the end result is quite rewarding. I started off my blog to help others with Genealogy (which I still do on occasion) but I found myself enjoying it much more as a random collection of thougts and ideas. Now, I see mine as a way to keep in touch with those dearest to my heart but farthest from sight. Not many of them post comments, but I know that they stop in on occasion. I am very glad that you blog as it helps me to keep in touch with you--so just forget about the loser who said you're boring--those of us who know you know better! :)