Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Packer Fans

Every Packer says it. "The fans make it great. No where else do you find fans like you do in Green Bay." Not only are the fans die hard, standing in the tundra in temperatures that hover around zero or below, they stick by their team through thick and thin. Packers went into last weeks' game with a loosing streak as long as my hair. My husband's comment, when I asked about watching The Game, was, "Why bother?" Even with this attitude, he was faithful and turned the channel to watch the pregame and the kick-off. And when they led at the half, we continued to watch. It was exciting by then. (Marriage advise: Find a man that sticks by his team when the going gets tough. He'll stick by you when hormones and aging get tough too.) As I write this, I sit in Slugger's sports bar, listening to the Packer's radio show, eating BBQ wings and cursing that I need more wet naps. (Not the waitresses fault; totally my own.) I've done this a few times; the waitstaff recognizes me; I recognize other patrons. (In case you were there, I'm the geek with the laptop. Yep, that was me.) The gift the packers return to their fans is greater than a good game against the Lions, or a chance for some autographs. The Packers signify diversity. Not only on the sidelines, but in their fans. College students sit next to families with small children. They even remember to watch their language. Die hard rockers are checking out the country CDs that WPKR 99.5 is giving away. Bar rats are checking out the laptop. And giving me weird looks. I would too. In this time of politcal commercials filled with lies and accusations, bumper stickers proclaiming allegiance to this canidate or that, for one hour, the outside world is tossed aside and everyone focuses on what the celebrities in the front have to say. It may not be earth shattering. It won't matter next week. Heck, it probably won't even effect the game. But all of us are joined together in fan adoration.

No comments: