Saturday, August 28, 2004

Wedding showers

I'm co-hosting a wedding shower the first weekend of next month, which also means I'm the matron of honor. To complicate matters more, I live in good ol' Wisconsin while the Bride is in South Dakota. This is an arrangement I would not recommend. The upside is we talk alot. The downside is, I am working with others to get it all pulled together. I'm a type A control freak personality. I don't do this well. So far is it okay, but so far all we have done is pick a date and divide some of the responsibilities. Nothing major. But I am in need of some shower games. Any ideas or websites? The other thing I have to do is a speech at the reception/dinner. I'm okay speaking in front of a large crowd of people, but have no practice with writing speeches. And I don't think I can just wing it. Help, please!

4 comments:

Fiat Lux said...

I try my hardest to avoid such thing (not always successfully), but http://www.partygameideas.com/weddingshowergames.htm

I'd wager that you already have most of these down pat. http://fl.essortment.com/speechpreparati_rvcj.htm
But you never know what might help. http://www.speechtips.com/preparation.html

Prahagirl said...

Well, the TP Bride game is always a fun one (toilet paper bride)...um There was another one that Sarah (my sister's best friend) and I did at my sister's bridal shower. It was some sort of letter and you had to fill in the blanks with household cleaners etc...I'll have to see if I can get the letter and maybe some other names of the games from Sarah for you.

Prahagirl said...

I forgot to ask; are you related to the bride or are you a friend? I had to give a speech at my sister's reception and I just commented on stupid stuff that we did (or she did) when we were younger, cracked a few jokes about being the older sibling and never approving of her boyfriends until JJ...that sort of stuff. Then I closed with a fancy quote about love and commitment from Sophocles etc. It doesn't need to be real long. Mine was only about 2 - 3 minutes. Let me know if you have more questions. :)

Stacie Penney said...

The bride is a cousin, and the baby's godmother. We're rather close. She thinks my husband is sexy, but I think she is laughing at me. It's up for grabs.