Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Perfect Score

Last night my hubby and I watched "The Perfect Score." It wasn't bad. Parts of it were even really good. But it made me think back to being in high school and how the numbers of the standardized tests ran your life. I was one of those unique individuals who went to a boarding school that prepped its students for a career in teaching or preaching God's word. I didn't need as high of a score as I got to get into the college for this path. As my resulting path as significantly diverged from the intended path, I can appreciate the worry that students have. At 18, how can you possibly know what you want to do for the rest of your life. And if you can possibly decide, so much happens that you are more likely to change your mind than do what was intended. I have two small children. The skills I want to teach them are the "thinking" skills of life. And to learn to take chances. Don't settle for what you are told to do. Take the risks and do what you love, what you are passionate about. To hell with everyone and the consequences. If nothing else, I want to teach them to think. And take the risks like the six high school seniors did in this movie.

No comments: