Thursday, January 20, 2005

Blogging About Work

I decided that I need to stop blogging about work. I made a blog connection recently between two of my favorite voices on the web - Average Jane and If you don't have cable... lead me to Dooce. Dooce is, as defined by the urban dictionary: "Losing your job for something you wrote in your online blog, journal, website, etc." The author of Dooce had this happen to her. Check out the whole story. While she didn't refer to company or boss by name, she was ratted out by someone at the company. I wouldn't be concerned, except that like any job, it can be irritating at times. I've never posted in the manner that Dooce did, I could see it happening, should I ever turn off my inner editor or have a really bad day. Others have gotten fired for their web exploits. An employee of Microsoft had it happen as did a former Delta Airline Flight Attendent. A Google search shows multitudes of others too. My referrer logs have shown my name popping in a couple of times as searches. While I have no way of knowing why, I don't want it to be the end of my job either. What annoys me the most is that now I have to censor myself. I already do a bit because I had decided to use my real name rather than a sobriquet. With relatives and friends being potential readers, I didn't want to use this as a forum for ranting. That's what husbands are for, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I make a point of mentioning my work very minimally in my blog. I try not to post anything that would provoke the interest of a boss, client, IRS agent, etc., etc. It's one thing to share your thoughts online, but you just never know who's going to be reading them.

- Jane
http://averagejane.blogs.com