Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The Movie Industry

What was the last movie you saw in the theater? I think it was National Treasure with Nicholas Cage. An excellent movie recently released on DVD for $19.99. I know our tickets cost $16, since my husband and I pay out of one money pot. I'm pretty sure at least soda and popcorn were involved, but sometimes we find things in our pockets or my purse once we are already inside. I have no idea how that happens. If we did get the popcorn and soda there, it would have been the combo that's about $10. Crazy, isn't it? For $20 I could own the movie, but instead I had a one time experience with it on the big screen for $26. Every year the movie industry states that ticket sales are down. Every week, they report the highest grossing movie, usually making millions of dollars. Yet, I can own it for $20, if I am willing to wait 3-6 months for the DVD release. Sure I have to provide my own popcorn and soda, but for the extra six bucks, I can buy a box of microwave popcorn and a six pack of soda. If my fellow viewers prove to be talkers, I can throw popcorn or a pillow at them instead of shh-ing them to no avail. I am not subjected to a commercial loop or promos that I don't want to watch. And I get behind the scene clips that are usually as entertaining as the movie. Unless it is going to be totally awesome to see on the big screen, I'm skipping the theater and going straight to DVD section of Target.

No comments: