Friday, July 30, 2004

A few thoughts about Nascar

Nascar is a boring sport. Watching drivers go around the track 500 times, waiting for a crash is not my idea of entertainment. I propose the following to improve its appeal and interest level. 1) Cut the number of laps down. I heard one driver on the local radio station say that it really comes down to the last 30 or so laps. Why bother to have the first 470? Cut the number of laps to 50. Then we'll see who is really skilled. 2) Take all of the ranking numbers. Draw two of them from a bucket. Make them switch places. Let's see how well the third place driver does if he has to start at 47th. 3) Base the starting line-up on the amount of money that sponsers give. After all, more money equals a better car and a better driver, right? 4) Base the starting line-up on a 500 list or one of the other company ranking lists that exists. These are just a few of the changes I would make if I were in charge of Nascar. I'm sure all think of more as I am forced to watch it on Sunday as it dominates all programming on that day.

No comments: