Friday, November 17, 2006

The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon

Title: The Fiery Cross

Author: Diana Gabaldon

Genre: Historical

Summary: The possible alteration of the past is woven into the individual stories and drawn the novel together when Roger and Brianna decide whether to stay in the past or return to their own time.

The Take-Away: I loved the debate of impacting the future between Jamie and Claire, Roger and Brianna. A local skirmish that never made the history books is used to illustrate how they could possibly be affecting or have effected their known history. Any author with a time-travel story has to answer how this works in their world. Gabaldon hasn't answered the question yet, but hints at the possibilities.

I've found too, that her books read slower than most titles that I devour. They take awhile to reach the critical, "I can't put it down" stage. But they continue to be worth the time. Afterall, if you're going to pick-up a 900+ page book, you need to know that it is worth it.

Recommendation: Read it. If you start out of order, you'll ruin a couple of plot lines, but still be able to follow the story.

October Titles

Technorati tag:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I just stumbled upon your blog while googling some stuff about the "Outlander". I have just started reading the series, starting of course, with "Outlander".

>>>I've found too, that her books read slower than most titles that I devour. They take awhile to reach the critical, "I can't put it down" stage. But they continue to be worth the time.<<<

I totally agree with you.