Thursday, March 24, 2005

Ten Gimmicks for Saving Money

If you have been a regular reader of my blog, you know that I like to save money. I pursue the MSN Money boards for realistic tips and tricks for someone of my financial standing. My favorite poster, Liz Pulliam Weston, came up with ten gimmicks that can make saving fun and less painful.

“It’s a hook, kind of like ‘no carbs’ is a hook,” says Chatzky, financial editor for NBC’s Today Show. “This is a problem we need to get our hands around. . . . (We need) some sort of mental game we can play with ourselves that will help us solve the problem.” If we were entirely logical, of course, we wouldn’t need hooks or gimmicks or any of the little self-delusions that in reality can be so helpful in giving ourselves a financial cushion.
I've used one of the tricks listed -- padding my checkbook. It has covered my butt a couple of times. But I really like a couple of the others too. I'm going to have to decide which will be my next savings gimmick.

No comments: