Monday, January 29, 2007

Jigs & Reels by Joanne Harris

Title: Jigs & Reels : stories

Author: Joanne Harris

Genre: Fiction

Summary: Short Stories covering a range of genres.

The Take-Away: The slim volume includes 22 short stories, covering a wide range of genres -- fantasy, thriller, horror, etc. For a fast reader like myself, one thing glared at me from the pages -- the voice was the same for all of the stories. Harris has a strong voice and seldom wavered from it. Reading this title only enforced it.

However, since voice is one of the hardest things to explain, the collection would make a great example for anyone who doesn't understand. I think if I had taken longer breaks between stories, I would have enjoyed it more.

Recommendation: Skip it.

Technorati tag:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacie-

I just found your blog through the comments we both left on Melanie's page--the wonders of cyberness, huh? Anyway, as a former resident of the Badger state, I wondered if you'd be interested in receiving a copy of my novel set in Wisconsin.

Just holler.

Stacie Penney said...

Judy---

I'd love a copy!

Stacie.penney at Gmail.com