Friday, March 17, 2006

Outlining

When I write, I outline. Okay, so I've only done it with two stories, but I finished the one and am 1/5 of the way through the other. I never used to outline and often found myself hung up with "What Comes Next" staring at me. I'd make something up and cross my fingers that the whole thing made sense. (It didn't.)

I changed my mind about outlines for two reasons. First and most importantly, I wanted to get rid of What Comes Next. I hated how that sucker would stare down at the empty space under my text. He'd do some really funky things and I'd give up for 2 or 3 months at a shot. Once it even went on for a year. Second, when I sell a book, the next one will require an outline.

JA Konrath uses an outline and tells writers to do so in his post Outlines, Writer's Block and Motivation. He also includes the outline of Bloody Mary.

The post is worth while. The outline will be interesting as I have read Bloody Mary. I'm interested in the sketch.

No comments: