Monday, December 13, 2004

The Twelve Days of Survival

As an adult, my perspective of Christmas and holidays in general has changed. I used to anticipate the arrival of Santa and the truckload of toys he would delivery throughout the neighborhood. I would lie awake for a good portion of the night, waiting until it was even remotely close enough to a decent hour so I could creep out in the living room to check my stocking and scope out the unwrapped presents under the tree. I'm grateful that my kids sleep until six-thirty and take naps. I love watching their faces as they unwrap one gift and are delighted with what they find. They are still into "quality," so we often have to urge them to unwrap the next thing as they are busy playing with the first. I used to love all of the candy and food that just seemed to sit everywhere. No one told you that you had had enough cookies for the day. Instead, every adult turned a blind eye to the number and quantity. The office I work in receives food baskets and gifts from a large portion of our vendors. By the end of the day last year, I would be so stuffed that I have to remind myself that my family hasn't been snacking without constrant and that they do expect to find dinner on the table shortly. Christmas parties used to mean a half day of school and not much work during that half day. Now Christmas parties mean baby-sitters and remembering not to drinking too much. Buying presents used to mean begging money from my parents. Now it means trying to find something for someone that I don't know very well, but drew their name out of the bucket. It means credit card bills, long lines and impossible parking. The only shopping I do in December is grocery shopping. I'm one of those people who have 65% of it done by the end of October and 80% by Thanksgiving. The remaining 20% I have decided what I'm getting for them and do it on my lunch break. Christmas is less about family, God and sharing with one another. Christmas is more about buying, spending and hassle. Is this because I'm an adult or because I'm a grinch?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It isn't just you, the whole world has taken on the BUY BUY BUY attitude. I as I get older I have decided I don't need gifts of STUFF. The gift of choice is spending time with family and friends and thanking the Lord that I have them. The one thing I like best about Christmas is the fact that I might never hear from some people all year long but at Christmas I get a card and/or letter telling me about their families.

I can also go to church twice a week during the Christmas season and reflect on things in my life and thank God for the blessings in my life.

So tke heart and enjoy what you can about the season.

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year.

Aunt K

Stacie Penney said...

I get so that I feel like the only thing I know to get for the person on my list is a gift card, which is what they are getting me as well. Then I think, well, since $20 is the limit, that's what I'll get. Keep your $20, I'll keep mine.

You're right though, that the focus should be on who we have, not what we get.

Prahagirl said...

Amen sister! I know I have been absent of late--my computer pooped, but I just blogged about similar points also. Christmas has become more of a headache than of a joyous holiday season. Hopefully, both of us will be able to keep this in mind!