Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Simple Pleasures

I was able to play piano for the first time in years last night. I’m rusty, to be sure. But muscle memory is an amazing thing. Some of the passages needed specific fingerings and I was able to hit it dead on even though five or six years have passed. I wasn’t ever a fantastic player, but adequate. Now that I have kids, I want them to have music in the house. The relationship to math is great. Fractions always seemed easier once I understood whole notes vs half notes vs quarter notes. Any advantage children can have will be needed in this world. And I know enough to teach them basics, even if I could never teach them to be masters. But if all they walk away with is a love of music, an understanding of the beauty, then truly, I’ve passed wonder onto the next generation.

No comments: