Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Defending Vogue's Evil Genius:

Subtitled: The brilliance of Anna Wintour I read The Devil Wears Prada as a book group read in November 2003. I laughed; I cried; I was happy I no longer worked for the people that Miranda Priestly most resembled. In preparation for the book group, I did some online research and found out that the author of The Devil Wears Prada worked for Anna Wintour. The gossip about Lauren Weisberger and Anna Wintour was too good to pass up. Time passes and I catch this headling on Slate: Defending Vogue's Evil Genius. I have to read it. But [Anna] Wintour didn't get where she is without talent; she is incredibly smart about fashion. During her tenure, Vogue has been enormously successful: The September issue, which ran to 832 pages, was the largest issue of a monthly magazine ever to be published. And so it's worth getting beyond the caricature to examine Wintour's work at Vogue, without which there would be no speculation about the "real" Anna Wintour. Not a single mention of Lauren and her book, yet the inuendo is there. If Ms Wintour is half as bad as portrayed in The Devil Wears Prada she needs to be defending herself. I've had bad bosses before, but never anything like this one.

No comments: