Monday, November 29, 2004

Spying on Chat Rooms

I never know what to think about articles like this. On one hand, I don't want things like September 11th to happen. If terrorists are using means like chat rooms to communicate, then we should be able to find them. On the other hand, it feels like some sort of violation, much like finding out your little brother has been reading your diary. If I think of the internet and chat rooms as a restaurant or shopping mall, I do better. When talking in places like that, you expect people to be listening. In those situations, you can't help but hear kind of things. If I can think of it that way, I might be okay with it. Having to think of it in a different sense than how I instinctively think of it makes me think that my logic is flawed. (Poor sentence construction, I know.) The only violation then is the censoring that I do to myself cos I'm not willing to speak of certain things in public places. No rights are violated, but, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I just don't like it. It makes me think of books like Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. To what extremes will people go to protect the nation and violate privacy? This blogger found out. (via J-Walk)

No comments: